Remains of Tower of the Castle, Bristol 1921.
1921. These were some of the final remains of the Castle, then surviving within the packed Castle St. They were all demolished in the 1930s during rebuilding works in Castle St. The image not only represented the Castle's final days but also Fred's output as he ceased his photographic career soon after this image was issued.
Mary le Port Church, Bristol.
The late 17th century brass eagle lectern seen front left was originally owned by Bristol Cathedral but was relocated to Mary-le-Port Church. The air raid of November 1940 destroyed the church and the lectern.
St Peters Church From Mary le Port St, Bristol
This view of St Peters Church from Mary-le-Port St captures the narrowness of the original medieval street plan especially when there were over hanging buildings on both sides of the street. The fragile looking building on the right was formerly the Swan Inn which was demolished in 1936 to make way for a shop. Fred's knowledge of the area has been put to good use with an atmospheric study taken during a summer evening. St Peter's Church recedes into the evening haze drawing attention to the fore